The Guild of St Bride dates from the fourteenth century, and was confirmed by a writ issued by Edward III in 1375. Originally its primary purpose was to maintain a light burning before the statute of ‘St Bridget the Virgin’ (St Bride).
The Guild was re-constituted in the 1950s, and today its members continue to provide invaluable assistance with the running of our services, fulfilling ceremonial duties, and general support for St Bride’s.
Guild members wear russet coloured robes and a medallion bearing a distinctive symbolic design. It depicts a Celtic Cross (as a reminder of the Irish roots of our patron saint, Bridget of Kildare); a ring of fire (symbolising the perpetual light of Christ, shining in the darkness); and a curfew bell (the remains of a mediaeval curfew tower are still visible in our crypt).
Guild members, alongside others in our congregation, assist with reading lessons in services, leading intercessions, and administering the chalice.
The present Master of the Guild of St Bride is Lord Black of Brentwood, who took over from Sir David Bell in February 2020. We are delighted that his appointment continues our link with the newspaper industry.