The Spirit of Christmas
The Spirit of Christmas is the first CD issued under our new St Bride’s Live label.
Director of Music: Robert Jones
- Lux Aurumque – Eric Whitacre
- The Angel Gabriel – Jonathan Rathbone
- Il est né le divin enfant – French trad arr Chilcott
- In Wintertime – Lennox Berkeley
- Past Three O’Clock – English trad arr Robert Langston
- The Heavenly Aeroplane – English trad arr Rutter
- How Like An Angel – Paul Drayton (Soloist: Julian Gregory)
- I Believe In Father Christmas – Greg Lake arr Lake/Morley (Soloist: Daniel Jordan)
- Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day – English trad add Stuart Nicholson
- I Wonder As I Wander – Andrew Carter (Soloist: Rachel Chapman)
- A Spaceman Came Travelling – Chris de Burgh arr Morley (Soloist: Thomas Herford)
- Jesus Christ The Apple Tree – Poston (Soloist: Claire Seaton)
- Carol Of The Bells – Leontovych
- Little Drummer Boy – Davis arr Morley (Soloist: Rachel Chapman)
- Sans Day Carol – English trad arr Rutter
- Zither Carol – Czech trad arr Sargent
- Wassail Song – English trad arr Vaughan Williams
- The Shepherd’s Farewell – Berlioz
- Stop The Cavalry – Lewie arr Neeves (Soloist: Neil Bellingham)
For just over two years St Bride’s has been recording the many parish services, weddings, memorials and carol services held throughout the year; some of these services have been made available to Listen Online via the webite – and we are proud to be one of the few London churches to offer this feature. These recordings have also generated a wonderful archive of material, and we hope that this new label will be a way of sharing the best of these moments from our liturgy at St Bride’s.
Drawn from the many carol services we host during Advent, the choice of tracks demonstrates the breadth of our choir’s repertoire and musical skills – from the Christmas choral classics of Vaughan Williams, John Rutter and Bob Chilcott, to the Christmas pop classics of Greg Lake, Jona Lewie and Chris de Burgh.
As it says on the tin – it’s LIVE – so there are coughs, sirens, door slams, and even (shock, horror) occasional musical slips – all the things that happen outside the bubble of the recording studio – but we hope that despite these, what comes through the music and the singing is the true and live Spirit of a St Bride’s Christmas.
Canon Alison Joyce, Rector of St Bride’s Church
VIEW AND LISTEN TO OTHER RECORDINGS
STAY UP TO DATE
WITH NEWS FROM ST BRIDE’S
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive alerts for
events and advance information about seasonal services.
We protect your data and never overwhelm your inbox.SUBSCRIBE