- Worship & Ministry
- Visit Us
- INSPIRE! Appeal Listen Online Calendar
When the archaeological excavations took place here in the early 1950’s one of the most exciting finds was a 14th century medieval crypt chapel at the north eastern corner of the church.
It has a chalk block roof with hard sandstone ribs and a lancet doorway or window. A picture in the current guide book shows it as it was arranged in the post war years, but it has now been completed restored and re-designed as a war-memorial chapel for those from the Daily Mail and Evening Standard who gave their lives in two World Wars. It is also a chapel to the Rothermere family, who generously gave money for the refurbishment.
It was rededicated by the Rt. Hon. and Rt. Revd. Richard Chartres, Bishop of London on November 8th 2002 in the presence of Lord Rothermere, Vyvyan Harmsworth, Master of the Guild of St Bride and the Dowager Countess of Cromer.
A Plaque on the south wall includes the names of the 58 fallen inscribed in glass. The chapel’s redesign was undertaken by Tangram, the Church’s architects, and the glass plaques were created by Andrew Moore.